Terry B. Ewell
- Ph.D., Music Theory,
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1994. Dissertation: At the
Vanguard of Russian Musical Modernism: Nikolai Andreevich Roslavets.
- M.A., Music Theory, University
of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1988. Thesis: Music as Wittgensteinian
- B.M., Performance, magna
cum lauda, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1979.
- Towson University
- Program Director, Master of Music, Department of Music,
2014 to present.
- Chair, Department of Music, 2000 to 2009
- Bach in Baltimore
- West Virginia University,
magna cum lauda, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1979.
- Chair, Division of Music, West Virginia University,
- Interim Chair, Division of Music, West Virginia
- International Double Reed Society
- Past President, Executive Committee Member, 2006 to 2009.
- President, 2002 to 2005.
- Vice President, 2000 to 2002.
- National Association of Schools of Music
- Chair of Region 6, 2006 to 2008.
- Vice Chair of Region 6 1999 to 2005.
- Secretary of Region 6, 1997-1999.
- Accreditation On-Sight Visitor, 2004 to present.
- Principal writer for the NASM Self-Study Report for
Towson University, re-accredited in 2004.
- Principal writer for the NASM Self-Study Report for West
Virginia University, re-accredited in 1998.
- Council of Higher Education in Music
Dr. Ewell’s efforts helped to
secure over $300,000 in additional funds for the Department of Music
and over $20,000 for the International Double Reed Society through an
NEA grant. In 2001 he also administered a successful conference for the
International Double Reed Society that raised over $40,000 in revenue
after expenses. He has written successful grants to the National
Endowment for the Arts and the Maryland State Arts Council. In
addition, he played an important role in the planning of the Towson
University Creative Arts Center Building Project and the securing of
over 1.5 million dollars of new equipment and instruments for the
Department of Music.
- Professor, Towson University, Towson University, Towson,
MD, 2000 to Present
- Instructor, Masterworks Festival, July 2003 to 2016, 2018.
- Associate Professor, West Virginia University, 1995 to 2000.
- Assistant Professor, West Virginia University, 1989 to 1995.
- Lecturer and Artist in Residence, Pacific Lutheran
University, 1986 to 1989.
- Teaching Assistant, University of Washington, 1986 to 1989.
- Instructor, Marrowstone Music Festival, 1985, 1987 to 1988.
- Lecturer, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1983 to 1986.
- Lecturer, Hong Kong Conservatory of Music, 1980 to 1983.
- National Association of Schools of Music on-site
evaluator, 2004 to present.
- Assessment Administrator,
Towson University 2013 to present
- Degree programs: Bachelor of
Music, Bachelor of Science in Music, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in
Applied Music, Master of Music
- Courses: MUSC 105 Music
Theory for Non-Majors, MUSC 116 Song Writing and Basic Music
Composition for Non-Majors, MUSC 287 Creative Music Technology, MUSC
355 Ethical Issues and Perspectives in Music, MUSC 452/552 Pedagogy of
Technology in Music Instruction.
- Gold Reviewer, Towson
University. Assessment of online courses using the Quality Matters
rubrics. Link to description.
- Pedagogy of Technology in Music Instruction (MUSC 452/552)
- Pedagogy of Technology in Music Instruction (MUSC
452/552), developed with Luis Engelke.
- Sigma Alpha Iota, National Arts Associate, 2018.
- Kappa Kappa Psi, Honorary Member, 2002
- Special Project Grant from the International Double Reed
- Louis McMahon International Music Competition,
- Fernand Gillet Performance Competition, first prize, 1981.
©2018 - by
Terry B. Ewell